Kachin National Organization Supports and Welcomes Gambia’s Move Against Myanmar Government
- We, the Kachin National Organization (KNO), overwhelmingly support and welcome the move of the government of Gambia, on behalf of the 57 members of the Organization of Islamic Co operation, by bringing and submitting a case against the Government of Myanmar (Burma) for the alleged violations of the Genocide convention against the Rohingya people at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), on 11th of November 2019.
- We strongly believe that it is a moral and vital obligation of all the international stakeholders (including Asian countries) to support the move of the Government of Gambia and to refer the Government of Burma to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for the deliberate atrocities and the systematic crimes being carried out against the Rohingya and other ethnic groups in Burma.
- The root cause of chaos and perpetrator of atrocities in Burma is the Burma Military Establishment which has been fomenting social unrest and economic instability which has in turn spilled over into neighbouring countries. Thus, it is essential that the Government of Burma and the Burma Military be held accountable for their crimes against humanity.
- Now that the Government of Gambia has filed a case against the Government of Burma for their repressive and systematic atrocities on the Rohingya people, we want to point out that our Kachin people have been suffering too under the deliberate, systematic and inhumane actions of the Government of Burma and the Burma Military for more than 50 years. Moreover, there has been a continuous and severe oppression, persecution, and atrocities committed by the Government of Burma and Burma Military on the Shans, the Karens, the Karennis, the Mons, the Arakanese, the Chins and even the Bamars, As a result, we strongly believe that these crimes against other ethnic groups in Burma must also be presented at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) and International Criminal Court (ICC) of the United Nations along with the case on the Rohingya to prevent further human rights violations from being committed by the Government of Burma and the Burma Military.
- Hence, we, the Kachin National Organization (KNO), once again strongly support the move of the Government of Gambia, representing 57 members of the Organization of Islamic Co-operation, opening the case against the Government of Burma for their crimes. We highly hope that eventually all the international communities would take their parts in holding the Government of Burma accountable for their crimes and in bringing justice and peace to the people of Rohingya and other ethnic groups in Burma.
Office of Kachin National Council (KNC)
Kachin National Organization (KNO)